BOARD OF EDUCATION
Fenton Community High School District 100 cordially invites all community members to attend meetings of the Board of Education. Regular meetings are held on the third or fourth Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Fenton High School Board Room (2015-2016 Schedule). Call or e-mail Kathie Pierce at 630-860-6257 or email@example.com for more information. All Regular, Special and Committee Board of Education Meetings are open to the public with the exception of closed sessions, which are conducted to discuss matters such as personnel, collective bargaining matters, student discipline, pending or probable litigation and the sale or lease of property. All Board action takes place in open session. Notice of all meetings and agendas is posted on the website, at the Business and Main Offices, and provided to the local media.
POWERS AND DUTIES
Powers and duties of the School Board generally include*:
- Developing and adopting School Board policies (subject to collective bargaining agreements and State/federal law);
- Approving personnel;
- Directing, through policy, the Superintendent in her charge of the District’s administration;
- Approving the annual budget, tax levies, major expenditures, payment of obligations, annual audit, and other aspects of the District’s financial operation;
- Entering contracts using the public bidding procedure when required;
- Providing and maintaining adequate physical facilities;
- Approving curriculum, textbooks and educational services;
- Evaluating the educational program and approving School/District Improvement Plans;
- Establishing and supporting student discipline policies; and
- Establishing the school year.
A portion of each regular school board meeting is designated to recognize visitors and provide them an opportunity to address the Board. The Board requests that the Rules of Procedure are read prior to addressing the Board publicly.
RULES OF PROCEDURE
1. Community members wishing to be heard by the Board MUST sign in before the commencement of the meeting. The Board President will call upon you to speak during the “Delegations” portion of the agenda. When it is your turn to be heard, please state your name and the question or comment you would like to make. Your comments must be limited to three minutes.
2. Please do not mention staff members or students by name. The proper protocol for lodging concerns would be teacher, principal, superintendent. All concerns brought directly to the Board will be relegated back to the proper party responsible for the issue.
3. No action will be taken in response to a petition at a Board meeting. Petitions will be referred to the Superintendent for consideration and recommendation of appropriate action.
4. Please be respectful and civil toward others. Silence of audience members during the meeting is appreciated so that the business of the Board of Education can be conducted without distraction.
* This represents only a partial listing of the guidelines. All guidelines are subject to change at the direction of the Board President.